Cardinal Keith Patrick O’Brien, Resignation Statement as Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh, on 25 February 2013

Statement issued by the Catholic Media Office of Scotland:  

This morning (Monday, 25 February 2013) Cardinal Keith O’Brien announced he was stepping down as Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh. He had already offered his resignation to Pope Benedict XVI in accordance with canon law, because next month he turns 75. However in a statement issued today he said the Pope had now decided that his resignation should take immediate effect. Yesterday’s Observer reported that three priests and a former priest from O’Brien’s diocese had reported the cardinal to the Vatican over claims of ‘inappropriate behaviour’ dating back to the 1980s. Cardinal O’Brien contests the allegations.

Cardinal Keith O’Brien said:

Approaching the age of 75 and at times in indifferent health, I tendered my resignation as Archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh to Pope Benedict XVI some months ago. I was happy to know that he accepted my resignation nunc pro tunc – (now – but to take effect later) on 13 November 2012. The Holy Father has now decided that my resignation will take effect today, 25 February 2013, and that he will appoint an Apostolic Administrator to govern the Archdiocese in my place until my successor as Archbishop is appointed. In the meantime I will give every assistance to the Apostolic Administrator and to our new Archbishop, once he is appointed, as I prepare to move into retirement.

I have valued the opportunity of serving the people of Scotland and overseas in various ways since becoming a priest. Looking back over my years of ministry: For any good I have been able to do, I thank God. For any failures, I apologise to all whom I have offended.

I thank Pope Benedict XVI for his kindness and courtesy to me and on my own behalf and on behalf of the people of Scotland, I wish him a long and happy retirement. I also ask God’s blessing on my brother Cardinals who will soon gather in Rome to elect his successor. I will not join them for this Conclave in person. I do not wish media attention in Rome to be focussed on me – but rather on Pope Benedict XVI and on his Successor. However, I will pray with them and for them that, enlightened by the Holy Spirit, they will make the correct choice for the future good of the Church.

May God who has blessed me so often in my ministry continue to bless and help me in the years which remain for me on earth and may he shower his blessings on all the people of Scotland especially those I was privileged to serve in a special way in the Archdiocese of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh.

About the author

Peter Jennings is a well known Catholic journalist, writer, broadcaster and PR consultant. Based in Birmingham UK.

    Fatal error: Call to undefined function printme_link() in /var/sites/p/peterjennings.co.uk/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/deadline/single.php on line 130